German International School New York, located in Westchester, New York, is seeking a business-focused team member to fill the key role of Commercial Director. This person will work directly with the school principal, board of directors, faculty and staff in a bilingual environment.
The Business Manager reports directly to the school principal and is a member of the management team.
Start: as soon as possible
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Finance and Accounting
- Risk management and compliance
- Security and building management
- IT operations
- Admissions and Marketing
Responsible for all employees and procedures and practices within the department.
Responsible for maintaining and developing effective control systems in long- and short-term financial planning, including ensuring the maintenance of the school’s tax-exempt and non-profit status, as well as adherence to guidelines established by German authorities.
Ensure compliance with laws and statutes and ensure regulatory relationships with local, state and federal agencies.
Responsible for the performance of employees, as well as the evaluation and development of those under his direct supervision.
Responsible for implementing the school’s long-term strategy by establishing area-specific goals.
Responsible for the annual budget in areas of direct responsibility.
Attends various meetings at the invitation of the school board or principal.
Ensures a solid partnership with the school board and management.
Implements additional tasks / projects assigned by the school principal.
Tasks, duties and responsibilities
Finance and Accounting
- Responsible for preparing and reviewing monthly reports in terms of income, expenses, fixed assets, capital projects as well as student registration.
- Coordinates business office activities including purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable and banking operations
- Responsible for preparing an annual budget, half-yearly plan and budget updates on demand.
- Responsible for the annual audit process.
- Member of the Tuition Fee Assistance Committee and participates in final decisions on the amount and extent of financial assistance.
Risk management and compliance
- Supports and contributes to security management and training, emergency and crisis management plans, insurance contract enforcement and management, and all country reporting requirements, state and local authorities.
- Ensures that adequate and comprehensive coverage is provided for all perils for buildings, administrators, board members, employees and students. Continuously review the school’s risk profile in collaboration with the board of directors, as well as suggestions for improvement.
Safety and building operations
- Responsible for the building security and crisis management plan.
- Responsible for the proper functioning and security of all school property.
- Acts as a property manager, manages leases, rental contracts, rentals and sublets.
- Responsible for the operational functioning of the school’s network infrastructure, including IT security systems (e.g. firewalls, virus scanners, appropriate system backup).
Admissions & Marketing
- Guides and supports the admissions and marketing team.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or similar field required; Preferred master
- At least 10 years of successful leadership experience including supervisory responsibilities in a non-profit environment, preferably at an independent school
- Effective and constructive communication and presentation skills that promote results, productivity and teamwork
- Experience with corporate accounting policies, procedures, practices and programs. Knowledge of Blackbaud accounting software a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong customer focus
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to think and plan strategically and creatively
- Proven experience in monitoring and controlling / managing multiple functions and activities
- Detail-oriented, organized and able to complete projects on time
- Ability to multitask in a professional and cooperative manner, even under time pressure
- Flexibility in adapting workflows due to unexpected conditions
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Intermediate knowledge of German desired
- US work permit required
Please submit an application including a cover letter, curriculum vitae and diplomas to [email protected] and include the Business Manager application in the topic by September 7, 2021.