Financial assistance

Delhi government announces financial aid for more than 2,000 children who have lost one or both parents to COVID-19 in the city


[ad_1]

New Delhi: A day after an investigation by the Delhi Commission for the Protection of the Rights of the Child (DCPCR) said more than 2,000 children in the nation’s capital have lost one or both parents to the novel coronavirus, the Delhi government announced on Thursday that a program will be launched to provide financial assistance to children. Speaking to ANI news agency, Delhi Minister Rajendra Pal Gautam said data shows 67 cases of children orphaned due to COVID-19, 651 children have lost their mothers and 1,311 have lost their fathers. Read also – A man receives a call from the civic body to retrieve his death certificate

Gautam said: “A program will be launched to provide financial assistance to children. People who have left Delhi can also apply. Compensation of Rs 50,000 will be paid for the death of one of the parents. Compensation of Rs 1 lakh will be paid alongside an amount of Rs 2,500 per month to orphaned children. Also Read – Is the Delta Plus variant of Covid-19 more infectious than other strains? Responses from AIIMS Director Dr Randeep Guleria

The DCPCR has also launched a functioning all-day helpline – 9311551393 – for citizens to report such a case or seek information relating to children’s rights. Also Read – The Delta variant of Covid-19 will become a dominant strain in the coming months: WHO

An official statement says the Commission has used its helpline to undertake various investigations into the welfare and identification of children who have lost their parents to COVID-19 using data provided by the Department of Delhi government health.

“The Commission was able to trace more than 2,029 children who have lost one or both parents to Covid. Among them, 67 children are those who have lost both parents, while 651 children have lost their mother and 1,311 their father due to illness, ”he said.

Details of these children have been shared with the Ministry of Women and Children’s Development to take the necessary steps on their part to ensure the enrollment of eligible beneficiaries in the programs notified by the Delhi government for them. children who have lost their parents to Covid, the statement said.

On May 14, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said his government would cover the costs of educating and educating orphaned children during the pandemic.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced last month a number of social protection measures for these children, including the guarantee of a corpus of Rs 10 lakh when they turn 23 and their education.

The DCPCR hotline was launched in April and has now completed three months of operation in which more than 4,500 complaints have been reported.

Of those, 2,200 concerned complaints in the SOS category that required urgent attention, the statement said. These SOS complaints involved children / families in urgent need of essential supplies such as rations, medical emergencies, abandoned child cases, Covid testing requirements, among others, he added.

About 85% of SOS complaints were successfully resolved within 24 hours, while the remaining 15% were resolved within 72 hours, the statement said.

Anurag Kundu, chairman of DCPCR, said that over the past three months, the helpline has enabled the commission to reach more children and their families.

“This is only a small start and the helpline has a long way to go to establish itself firmly as a useful and reliable medium. Following the current trend, the Commission will receive almost 20,000 complaints during the current year. This is almost 1,300% of the average for the past three years and two and a half times the number of complaints the Commission has received in 12 years! ” he said.

(With contributions from the Agency)

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.